Now that the weather’s getting chillier, it would be a good idea to check your home’s exterior for any leaks. In particular, you should inspect your windows to see if they’re letting in drafts. The window replacement experts at Comfort King Windows & Doors share some tips on how to fix drafty windows below.
Signs You Have Drafty Windows
First off, you need to identify any window leaks. Below we’ve listed some of the common warning signs:
- Rattling noises – If the glazing putty responsible for holding the glass panes in place starts to become brittle, the panes might become loose, producing rattling sounds whenever they’re hit by strong winds.
- Gaps between the wall and window frame – Gaps can still form even if your windows were installed properly. Certain frame materials–particularly wood–expand and contract as temperatures rise and fall, which can potentially shift window panes, forming gaps.
- Foggy glass – Moisture can enter the space between dual-paned windows if the seal keeping the argon gas contained inside is punctured. This will cause the window glass to fog up from the inside.
Repair or Replace?
If you notice any of the aforementioned signs, you should replace your drafty windows with new energy-efficient windows. Some homeowners have pointed out that repairs are cheaper than a window replacement. However, we don’t recommend window repairs, as you’ll only be plugging the leaks temporarily rather than refilling the window with argon and restoring its energy efficiency.
A Few Quick Fixes
While waiting for your new windows to be installed, here are a few quick fixes you can do to prevent heat from leaking out of your home:
- Apply clear nail polish to cracks – Use nail polish to repair and conceal minor cracks.
- Fill in gaps using rope caulk – Take one strip of putty-like rope caulk and press it against the gap until it’s filled.
- Apply shrink film – Shrink film is a clear plastic sheet with double-sided tape. After you stick it to the glass surface, use a blowdryer to shrink it until it seals off the drafts.
One more thing: remember to only hire an experienced contractor. Less-experienced contractors are prone to making installation errors, which can leave behind gaps or even damage your new windows.
Comfort King Windows & Doors, a contractor with more than four decades’ worth of experience, offers some of the best windows in the entire province. To get a free estimate, call us at (613) 526-4550 or leave us a message here. We serve homeowners in Ottawa as well as nearby communities.