It’s a good rule of thumb to replace broken windows as soon as possible. Most energy-efficient windows are filled with argon, which helps ensure that warm air stays inside your home in the winter and outside it in the summer. We don’t recommend window repairs, because while they can plug the leaks in energy-efficient windows, they don’t refill your glass panes with argon to restore their energy efficiency.
However, uniquely-shaped windows might be the exception to the aforementioned rule. Not a lot of manufacturers offer them, making it hard to find a replacement. If you notice cracks on these windows, repairing the cracks and adding insulation would be a good idea. Comfort King Windows & Doors, your go-to company in the city for single-slider windows, shows you how below.
Quick Fixes for Cracks
Listed below are some quick fixes for cracked windows:
- Use shrink film – Shrink film is a clear plastic sheet with double-sided tape. Attach the sheet to the window glass and then use a blow dryer to shrink it until it completely seals the cracks.
- Apply nail polish to cracks – Use clear nail polish to temporarily repair and conceal cracks on the glass pane. This works on windows and doors with wide glass areas, like patio doors.
- Fill the gaps with rope caulk – Take one strip of caulk and press it against gaps in the window frame until they’re completely filled.
Insulating the Window Glass
To offset any loss in energy efficiency, you can attempt either of the following measures:
- Attach double-wall polycarbonate panels to the window opening – These panels might distort your views, but you can remove them once winter’s over.
- Attach plastic insulating film to the window frame – Stretch the film over the frame and use a blow dryer to tighten it.
If all else fails, you always have the option of installing custom windows. In some ways, they’re better than pre-manufactured windows. Since they’re made according to your specifications, custom windows are guaranteed to be a great fit for your home.
Comfort King Windows & Doors, a contractor with more than four decades’ worth of experience and an A%20 rating from the Better Business Bureau®, offers professional windows replacement and customization services. To get a free estimate, call us at (613) 526-4550 or leave us a message here. We serve homeowners in Ottawa as well as surrounding communities.